Skip to main content

Fingertip

Sometimes I look back to our previous years, just to learn, what have been changed, which parts are still stagnant, is there any new phenomenon that will continue in the upcoming years?, etc

After around 1995 when mobile technology and internet were growing vastly, this world become both exciting and worrying. I remember in 2004 when I was sitting in my school library and making testimonies on Friendster, suddenly I received invitation to join FB from my senior. With a high curiousity, I accepted it, soon FB took important role to make the world flat.

Then there it goes another social media, every year or probably months. News, informations, knowledge, (almost) everything is on our fingertips. Journals, articles, analyses from top thinkers are suddenly accessible. Cool, isn't it? Jawdropping growth.

10 years after the breakthrough of social media platform, I look at the newsfeed with both excitement and bitterness. In 10 years I have subscribed and glued onto different social medias, to name a few : Path, FB, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, youtube, Gplus. In 10 years, I am witnessing many social and political movements, changing the shape of our world.
Uprising in Middle east, Occupy wallstreet, Indonesian presidential election process, Hongkong movement, Israel-Gaza conflict, etc.



Suddenly we crave to become the actor of change, commenting, debating, cursing people that we do not know in person (but they seem guilty though). Fingertips. Meanwhile, capitalism is now going left, by stating more concern to social good, corporate social responsibility, many millenials engaged with social and development jobs. Thank you for this equal access to information.

I remember my childhood around early 90's, I was one of the student who did not have a land-phone. If I forget my homework, I should walk outside to the public phone and made call to some of my friends. I was 9, I think. There were not so many distractions. I was very focus with my class, my drum-band group, my friends who always thought I was a crazy person in class.

Yet in 1998, I sat in front of television all night. There was a huge shift in Indonesian politic, Reformasi. My college student brother was not coming home for days during that time, joined the student march. There were less speculations compare to recent presidential election in 2014. Everyone patiently wait for the news provided by few television channels and no internet to place our own theories and share it carelessly to others.

Are these huge connectivity among people tear us apart? Yes and No.

Fingertips previously used to point people on his nose, now, we use it on our touch screen device. We use exactly the same finger to judge, to critic, to blame. I know some people do it differently and wise enough when using the access but we need some to become majority.

I used to crave for newest headline, trends, you name it. Until I realise that I lose time to observe, think thoroughly and analyse, like I did before. Suddenly I felt really difficult to write, because I drowned to other people thoughts, other people life.

For my own good, I am considering information diet now, filtering timeline and newsfeed, wait for any stories in the headline to be developed further, to obtain more facts than opinion or assumption, and log-out from particular social media. Most of the time, the headline, the news, the food that other people share are giving tiny significance for today nor tomorrow.

People share to feel good about themselves, or people share because they find the information is useful for their audience. We create our own reality show for people to watch or for our own memories. I don't know where I am now, you know better.

Trying to opt my fingertips out to take control, to give mind a proper space to think, to explore, to analyse, and to feel. Big hope for the habit shift thus I can have more time to write, read, and travel. :)

Well I write this for my own good, if you suddenly read this, I think you can consider it as a fortune.. xp. Do warn me if I betray this oath. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idola Cilik, sudahkah adil?

Sore ini selepas pergi bersama teman untuk menonton pertandingan tenis, saya menemukan para penghuni kos sedang berkumpul di ruang tengah untuk menyaksikan idola cilik. Saya merasa kangen nonton acara ini, karena dulu saat belum masuk babak 14 besar,saya sering sekali menonton acara ini.  Sebuah ajang bagus untuk pengembangan minat dan bakat anak-anak, sekaligus memberikan inspirasi bagi ribuan pemirsa kecil lainnya yang terlalu bingung dijejali sinetron-monolog-yang-mengumbar-gambar-orang-melotot. Lucu dan menyenangkan sekali pada awalnya, hingga pada sore ini pandangan saya terusik pada sistem eliminasi idola cilik. Menit demi menit saya mencoba menikmati rangkaian babak hasil "result show", tapi yang berputar di kepala saya hanya "kenapa begini? kenapa begitu?" Berdasarkan informasi yang saya kumpulkan dari teman-teman kos yang mendukung Cakka dan Obiet, serta satu orang yang mendukung Irsyad. Saya coba buatkan rangkaiannya. Para kontestan cilik diberi kesempatan

Kembali ke Kelas Inspirasi

  Apa yang pertama terlintas ketika mendengar Indonesia Mengajar? Anak SD, pendidikan, masyarakat yang mengajar. Begitu pula yang saya pikirkan ketika itu, berbagai orang bersedia mengajar untuk meningkatkan kondisi pendidikan di Indonesia.   Desember 2011 itu, kami sepakat untuk merangkul para ‘kelas menengah’ di kota besar untuk ikut andil dalam pembangunan pendidikan. Salut untuk ide Safira Ganis, Ika, dan teman-teman pengajar muda yang baru kembali dari tempat penugasan. Keceriaan itu disebut, Professional Volunteer Program (PVP). Untuk menyederhanakan narasi “membangun gerakan pendidikan masyarakat”, kita mengusung ide kegiatan relawan untuk menjadi gaya hidup “Loe gak keren kalau belum jadi relawan.”   Hasil pertemuan itu melahirkan  Kelas Inspirasi  sebagai wahana/alat/kendaraannya. Idenya sederhana, para kelas menengah pekerja ditantang untuk cuti sehari, berorganisasi dalam kelompok, mempersiapkan materi pengajaran sendiri, lalu mengajar tentang profesi

untuk mahasiswa ITB dari Rendra

saya rasa kita semua yang mengaku orang muda, berpendidikan, punya berjuta teori yang mau dibenturkan dengan dunia nyata, punya berbagai idealisme yang belum diwujudkan, yang masih diam sampai sekarang (seperti saya), yang mau berubah, yang mau bergerak untuk siapapun, bangsa, umat, atau diri sendiri.. harus baca puisi dari sastrawan Rendra ini, tanda bahwa 30 tahun mahasiswa masih menghadapi masalah dan dilema yang sama. . sampai kapan mau diam dibalik menara gading ini?? menghisap sebatang lisong melihat Indonesia Raya mendengar 130 juta rakyat dan di langit dua tiga cukung mengangkang berak di atas kepala mereka matahari terbit fajar tiba dan aku melihat delapan juta kanak - kanak tanpa pendidikan aku bertanya tetapi pertanyaan - pertanyaanku membentur meja kekuasaan yang macet dan papantulis - papantulis para pendidik yang terlepas dari persoalan kehidupan delapan juta kanak - kanak menghadapi satu jalan panjang tanpa pilihan tanpa pepohonan tanpa dangau persinggahan tanpa ada baya